Wednesday 30 June 2010

The Cromwell Arms, Romsey

Yesterday we ventured into Romsey for the first time in search of food together. I'd been here before for a hen night meal but obviously Ian not being a hen meant he missed out! Ian wasn't sure of the menu, he struggled to pick a starter he wanted but that's probably because he's so fussy!

I've been craving mussels for some time and thankfully this a place offered them. Ian went for tempura squid. My mussels were good, although strangely lemony but in a good way. The only thing I'd say would be there should have been more of them! Ian's squid consisted of some rings and some whole looking squid, the batter was nice and crispy but the squid firm not chewy.

For mains Ian ordered the lamb rump with pea purée, it was juicy and tasty and I really liked the pea purée. I ordered the pork belly but substituted the mustard mash for dauphinoise potatoes. It came with caramelised shallots and the fat on the pork belly hadn't been made into crackling as I'd been expecting, but was very tasty and meant the meat was succulent. The dauphinoise potato had something in it that I wasn't overly keen on, but it was still good. Ian ordered his usual side of chips but they were pretty disappointing although that didn't stop me using them to wipe up the pea purée from Ian's plate!

We did order dessert, I went for the eton mess, Ian for the baked White chocolate cheesecake with honeycomb ice cream. The eton mess was huge and I barely managed half but it was scrummy, lovely chewy meringue, mmmm! Ian didn't like the biscuit base of his cheesecake, and the small bit I had of the topping didn't taste much like White chocolate but he polished it off and the happily finished mine!

All in all, a pretty successful dinner!



No comments: