Wednesday 17 December 2008

Home-made Christmas Gifts


I decided to have a go at making a Christmas gift for my friend at work (who is quite partial to cookies - to be honest, who isn't!). So I bought a nice jar from matalan (only £2 so I bought quite a few cos I've been looking for some nice storage jars for a while). I then found a recipe for choc chip cookies and proceeded to measure the ingredients out and layer them in the jar. I was trying to go for several thinner layers instead of a smaller number of thicker layers, but this was quite hard to achieve - it's much easier doing that with small glass bottles at The Needles on the Isle of Wight with sand! I think it's because everything is different textures to they don't sit as well as sand - especially the chocolate chips. I had bought two different size jars but Ian told me he thought the smaller one would suffice (and I agreed). Turned out it wasn't big enough, but once you get half way through there's not really much going back! So I adapted the recipe slightly to make it fit in the jar. Once I was done I stuck a kebab stick into the jar and tried to make pretty patterns with the layers. This kind of worked but not as well as it would if there weren't choc chips in it I think. Anyway, it looks interesting and after adding labels, it should make a pretty nice Christmas gift.

No comments: