Sunday 15 August 2010

La Parisienne, Romsey

Ian's been working lots recently, and so we've drawn up a four weekly plan that gives me one night a week with him.  Last week was movie night (we saw Toy Story 3).  This week is restaurant night (for those interested, the remaining 2 nights are "board game night" and "games console night").  Clearly we can do more than just these things but this is the plan to ensure I get some quality time with Ian.  

So, on Tuesday we went to La Parisienne - a french restaurant in Romsey.  The menu was quite large and it was hard to chose but eventually we made up our minds. I chose the mussels (what a surprise) and Ian went for the snails. The mussels were good and there were plenty of them but they didn't bring me a spoon for the soupy bit and I got a hand wipe instead of a finger bowl, but that's just me being picky.


Ian's snails came in a cute snail tray, but they were lacking in garlickiness which is a shame as otherwise they'd have been much better.


For mains I decided on the duck confit, Ian on the veal in a sage and lemon sauce.  Ian's veal was vealy good! Sorry, I couldn't resist, but it's not a lie, I was really good, the sauce was creamy but light and refreshing at the same time.



My duck was tasty but not the best duck confit I've ever had, it wasn't as moist as it should be and it came in a funny sauce that I couldn't work out if I liked it or not. Both mains came with sauteed potatoes but no veg, which, if you don't like veg is good, but it wasn't clear you'd need to order veg as well.





Ian decided he didn't want dessert but then ordered the profiteroles and I ordered the lemon tart.  The profiteroles were more cups than rolls and they had ice cream not cream, but Ian seemed to enjoy them (I didn't get to try them, he scoffed the lot).



My lemon tart was quite lemony, but the base wasn't really what I was expecting, it was soft and had a slight cakey feel to it - I was expecting a crisp sweet pastry.  It wasn't unpleasant but it was a disappointment.


Because the menu was so vast, I do think we'll be going back at some point to try something else.

Also, I'd like to apologise for the picture quality, I forgot to take my camera and therefore took photos on my phone (which is ancient).  But, as they're all bad, I don't mind posting one more of the little salt and pepper set - which came in a sweet little basket - well, I thought it was cute anyway!


No comments: